DESCRIPTION
HISTORY
EXHIBITIONS
INFORMATION
PHOTOGALLERY
 
 
Archaelogical Museum of Kimolos, building view
The Archaeological Museum of Kimolos is located in the main town of the island, the so-called Chorio (The Village). The permanent exhibition includes findings mainly from the excavations in the cemetery of the ancient city of Kimolos from a site called ?Hellenika?, but also heirlooms donated from the local people and random finds from various parts of the island. The exhibited items cover a wide chronological range from Prehistoric Times to the Late Antiquity.



The building that houses the museum is an old two-storey house of traditional architecture and amongst the most beautiful of the Village. Its facade stands on one of the central roads of the town (It?s the Old Market). It is built after 1821 on the first row of houses outside the Venetian Castle but still within the traditional village. On the lintel of the entrance of the ground floor there is engraved the date 1846. The decisive abandonment of the house, as they say on the island, began after the Second World War, but the ground flour was used until the 60's as a shop-cafe. In 1965, it was bequeathed to the Ministry of Culture in order to create the Archaeological Museum.



On the ground floor are the areas of infrastructure (administration office, preservation and maintenance workshop, store rooms, hostel, WC for the public). A narrow stone stairway leads to the floor area of 85 m2 with two rooms where the archaeological exhibition is developed (Rooms I and II with a small reception area) and a small projection room.

The exhibits are presented in sections following a general chronological path, they are completed with copies, representation signs and printed information points in an attempt to outline the human activity of the past through its material remains and the course of Kimolos in antiquity.



The creation of the Archaeological Museum, which for decades was the constant demand of the local People, aims to promote the cultural heritage to the best feasible way in order to attract visitors to the island, contributing to its development.



The task of restoring and converting the building into an Archaeological Museum (1995-2001) was realized with the responsibility and supervision of the Directorate of Technical Works Conduction in Museums.

The task of organizing the areas of the museum and the permanent exhibition (2003-2005) was funded by 75% by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and 25% by the Greek government. It was implemented with the SOUTH AEGEAN Regional Operational programme (ROP - Measure: Cultural Tourism and Cultural Development) of the 3d European Community frame of economical support, 2000 to 2006 and implementing agency the Ministry of Culture and the KA? (21st) Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities.



The Archaeological Museum of Kimolos is directed under the authority of the KA?, (21st) Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities.