It was built in 1960 by the Ministry of Public Works in order to replace the old museum (built in 1902), which had collapsed during the earthquakes of 1956.
The Museum contains the following collections:
Sculpture, ranging from the Archaic to the Roman period.
Inscriptions, ranging from the Archaic to the Roman period.
Vases and clay figurines, dating from the Geometric to the Hellenistic periods.