The archaeological Museum of Kalymnos is housed in the 19th c. mansion of the Vouvalis family, who were sponge fishers. It was built in the mid 19th c. and inaugurated in 1894. The dining room has been reconstructed with the dinner service, the living-room, the office with the commercial correspondence, the service rooms, the storerooms and the photographic archives, complete with all the furniture and family household objects.
Because of the lack of space, the archaeological collection will be moved to a specially organized building. The future display will include figurines, pottery and coins of the Archaic, Classical and Hellenistic periods (7th-1st c. BC) from the necropolis in the Damos district and the depository of the naiskos of Apollo Dalios.