The ancient stadium of Dodoni lies to the southwest end of the sanctuary, adjacent to the theatre. It was built after the sanctuary was destroyed for the first time by the Aetolians in 219 BC and is immediately related to the second building phase of the theatre, since the retaining walls of the stadium seats join the propylon (porch) of the theatre, which was built in the same period. Every four years the stadium hosted the Naian games, a sport competition honouring Zeus; in the early second century BC they became stephanites games (the victors were crowned with olive branch wreaths).
This is one of the few ancient stadiums with stone tiers, which reside upon sloping earth fills retained by walls, on both the north and the south side. Narrow staircases cut across 21 or 22 rows of seats. Under the south seats extended probably a conduit for rainwater. On the same side, a stone rill with small bowls at intervals, for the passage of fresh water coming from a spring on Tomaros mountain, ensured water supply for competing athletes as well as spectators. The sphendone on the east hosted a gate with two continuous arcs leading to the theatre and to other buildings of the sanctuary.
The stadium of Dodoni temenos came to light when K.Karapanos first excavated the area in 1875. A later investigation was conducted by D.Apostolidis and S.Dakaris, but the stadium has not been fully uncovered yet, except of its east section near the sphendone; the remaining part extends over 250m to the west and lies under embankments. The seats of the uncovered part are today cushioned under an earth layer to protect them from humidity and frost.