The actual Katholicon of this monastery was built in 1587, possibly over an earlier church of the 14th century. It was an extremely wealthy Monastery, where there was a center of copying greek manuscripts and a workshop of church embroideries. The Monastery was of great strategic importance and it was burnt to the ground in 1866 during the Cretan revolution against the Turks.
The Monastery is surrounded by a defensive precinct with two main entrances and one side one. The cells communicate with the yard through a portico. There are also a two storeyed guest-house, a refectory, store-houses, a cellar a cook-house, and an oven. The Katholicon is a two-aisled church dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Saviour and to the Saints Constantine and Helen. Inside the Monastery there are also an ossuary and stables.
Today the Monastery houses a museum and receives many visitors.