The church of St Therapon dominates the city of Mytilene owing to both its impressive mass but mainly to the originality of its architectural type. The erection of this monument commenced in the beginning of the 19th century by the flourishing at that time Christian quarter and was completed in 1935. The architect was Argyris Adalis, Ziller's student.
The architectural order follows the cross-in-square type; however, the monument constitutes a combination of elements from contemporary architectural trends that prevailed in the West (Baroque, Rococo, Neoclassicism etc). Gothic elements are prevalent as well, adding an impressiveness and a distinctive style to the monument.