The church is of the simple cross-in-square type on two columns with a dome. The cloisonne wall masonry (stone blocks enclosed by bricks) is decorated with bricks and tiles set in various patterns. Stones taken from ancient structures were also used as building material in the walls.
The church was built in ca. A.D. 1000 in the area of Anemomylos, by skilled builders coming from Attica or Boeotia. It was constructed on an older catholicon (main church) of a monastery and was originally dedicated to St. Andrew, and later, to Saints Jason and Sosipater. Of the original decoration of the walls only a few fragments of frescoes have survived, dated to the 11th - 13th centuries A.D. In the 17th century, the church was enriched with icons painted by the famous Cretan artist, Emmanuel Tzanes.