Domed, cross-in-square church of the composite four-column type, with a narthex and porches. The wall masonry is pseudo-isodomic in the lower section and "cloisonne" in the upper part. The facades are decorated with a variety of brick ornaments. The church was built on a stone crepis and dates to the end of the 12th or the 13th century. The interior is decorated with Byzantine wall paintings.

There is no reference to the history of the monument, which is dated only on the basis of the excavation data and its architectural form. It was probably connected with the antiquarian archbishop of Corinth, William de Meerbeke. In 1691 it became the metochion (dependence) of the Monastery of St. Theodosios in Nauplion, and was given over by Morosini to the bishop of Rethymnon, Athanassios Chortatzis, who was in Peloponnesos at the time. The monastery must have been destroyed during the firing of Argos by the Turks in 1825.

Excavations carried out in 1989 and 1990 have brought to light the crypt under the sanctuary of the church, the stylobate of the the original iconostasis, and the graves inside the naos and the narthex, dated to the Late Byzantine period or to the Turkish occupation.

Several other important Byzantine monuments are preserved in the Argive plain:

- the monastery of Areia near Nauplion (1149),

- the church of the Dormition of the Virgin at Chonikas (early 12th century),

- the Transfiguration of Christ at Plataniti, and

- the Dormition of the Virgin at Argos (12th century).