The Gazi (Gaz) Factory was founded in 1857. It started functioning in 1862 and closed down its furnaces in August 1984. It was the last factory in Europe that was functioning in a traditional way until the day it closed.
Within its architectural space, one can see a real community, autonomous and self-reliant. The carpenter's shop, the smelting-works, the machine-works, the garage for the car repair works, the restaurant, the barber-shop, the community clinic, were just some of facilities offered by a well organized closed economy.
Buildings with stonework of austere neoclassical morphology, with openings arranged by plinth-work. The surface of the facets was varnished and they had cornices. Their roof is wooden with skylights and is covered with Byzantine or French tiles and iron-plates.
The complex has been completely restored by the City of Athens which is its owner. Responsible architect for the project is Alkis Premis.
Today, the area of Gazi serves as an industrial park and is used as a cultural center.