The building was constructed in around 1880 as a villa, in the square of Chalepa, the suberb of Chania. It assumed its present form in 1927 when Eleutherios Venizelos himself undertook the task to renovate the house. The outer, south staircase was then abolished and replaced by an open balcony on the first floor and a protected entrance on the ground floor. The reception halls were all housed on the ground floor and a spacious, open balcony was added to the main facade. A typical characteristic of the building was the surrounding area, especially the front garden, which was often taken care of by Eleutherios Venizelos himself.
In 1980 the building was protected by a preservation order. It still belongs to the Venizelos family.