Paleopolis, the ancient city of Kerkyra, is located to the south of the modern city, in the estate of Mon Repos.

The only Byzantine monument of the basilica was built in the 5th century A.D. by the bishop Jovian, on the ruins of a Roman odeum. It was destroyed several times: by the Vandals and Goths in the 6th century, by the Saracenes and the Normans in the 11th century, by the Turks in 1537 and, finally, in the Second World War. It was rebuilt twice: after its destruction in the 11th century, with three aisles and a narthex, and again, in 1680, by the Cretan monk Arsenios Caloudis.