The Domeneghini Tower is situated on the coast of Argasi, once a countryside locale with orchards and rural plantations that today has been transformed into one of the most popular touristic resorts of Zakynthos. At the time of the installation of Venetian rule on the island, towards the end of the 15th century, the region was deserted because of continual pirate attacks. In 1566, the Venetian administration, in its effort to confront this phenomenon, commanded the location of a twenty-men strong cavalry unit in the area. Archaeological research has confirmed no connection between the construction of the Domeneghini Tower and the installation of a cavalry guard at Argasi, an association nonetheless, implied by local chroniclers who assign the construction of the edifice to the mid 16th century. In any case, it is certain that the Domeneghini family, which owned the tower-country manor, settled in Zakynthos right after the fall of Chandax in Crete (1669) and was enrolled in the Libro d?Oro in 1741. To the same family also belonged the neighbouring church of Hagios Theodosios, as well as the adjacent fountain, known as «Solomos Fountain», most probably because of the frequent visits the national poet, Dionysios Solomos, used to make to the country manor of the Domeneghini family. The Tower is inextricably linked to the National Liberation Struggle of 1821. It was there that meetings of the Friendly Society members were held and from this place Theodoros Kolokotronis departed aboard a "aique" boat to launch the revolution in the Peloponnese.

The country manor displays the main features of a defensive structure of Venetocracy: rectangular ground plan, a steep incline, the so-called " scarpa ", formed round the lower level of the edifice, murder holes with volute corbels on the upper levels, as well as smaller defensive apertures through the masonry. The only access to the interior of the Tower was through a narrow stone staircase attached to its eastern side.

The Domeneghini Tower restoration project included works of masonry consolidation, roof repair, enhancement of the building and its surroundings and conservation of the Venetian fountain, as well as functional restoration of its interior. Upon completion of the project, the restored monument, which is a rare example of secular architecture in the period of Venetocracy, is also going to fulfill the purpose of a venue to host temporary exhibitions and cultural events.