The Clock Tower was built by Emir Serif Ahmet Evrenosoglu, descendant of the founder of Giannitsa Gazi Evrenos, in 1753/54, "as a gift to his father and mother and the souls of the Gazis", according to an inscription built on its eastern side.

Its prominent position within the city and its imposing presence make it one of the most characteristic landmarks of Giannitsa.

Similar towers, that sounded the hours of the day, were common in many cities of the Ottoman Empire.

The Clock Tower of Giannitsa has a square ground plan, with each side 6m wide. Its base, 5m high, is made of large cut stones and is surrounded by a stone cornice at the top end. On the south side there is a door with a pointed arch, with an embedded decorative relief above it.

The main body of the Tower stands 14m high above the base and is made entirely of bricks, reinforced with wooden frame. A cornice at the top of this part is also made of bricks. Lighting slits that widen towards the interior are opened on all sides.

Inside, the tower has five storeys, which are divided with wooden floors and communicate with a wooden staircase. A small wooden open turret, where the bell hung once, projects from the roof.

The Clock Tower of Giannitsa is the oldest surviving clock tower in Greece.
G. Stalidis, archaeologist