© Ministry of Culture and Sports, © 23rd Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities
View of the minoan villa at Nirou Chani
Luxurious house, two storeys high, built of large ashlar blocks. The walls were strenghtened by timber-frames and covered with a thick layer of plaster and marble slabs. The building has a paved courtyard, a shrine, storerooms for agricultural products, a staircase, and rooms with benches. It has been interpreted as a High Priest's house, due to the numerous ceremonial vessels it contained.

TThe house was probably built in the 16th century B.C. (MM III period) and, after its destruction by fire in the 15th century B.C. (LM IB period), was finally abandoned.

The "Minoan Megaron" at Nirou was excavated in 1918 by St. Xanthoudides.