The church in Aiani, which is dedicated in the Dormition of the Virgin, was rather built in the end of the 11th or in the beginning of the 12th c. according to the masonry, the three-columned windows and the sculptural decoration. It's an aisleless timber-roofed basilica with narthex and exonarthex. The nave communicates with the narthex through a ''trivilon''. It is an early-byzantine architectural monuments, such as the Katholicon of St.Stefanos's monastery in Meteora. But during the 16th century - when many changes took place in the architectural type - the central part of the church must be roofed with a dome.
The exonarthex and the exterior yard of the church were used as cemetery during the post-byzantine period. In 1950's, the wall of the yard, the water tank, the cells and the bell-tower were preserved from the old monastery.The wall paintings are dated in many periods. Few fragments of the first layer dated in the 12th c. are preserved. The second layer was painted in the 16th c. and is preserved all over the church. In the exonarthex, it was covered with new wall paintings in the 18th c. probably depicted by the painter Panos from Ioannina. In 1877, the painter Demetrios Adam Pitenis decorated some parts of the walls in the nave and narthex.The icons which are dated from 16th to 19th c. belong to the Aiani collection.
The church was damaged from the earthquake of 1995. During the years 1995-2000, an excavation survey, a restoration of the masonry and reinforcement of the wall paintings were carried out.