© Ministry of Culture and Sports
Exterior wall paintings on the west wall of the church
At the entrance of Velvento, near the Byzantine church of St. Minas, the post-Byzantine church of St. Nicholas was built. it is thought to be one of the most important monuments of the period, as a temple-which is dated in 1591-is preserved in it. Until the end of the 19th century, it was the katholicon of a monastery. Nowadays, the aisleless timber-roofed basilica and the ambulatory in the west and south side are preserved. The narthex is demolished.

According to the donor's inscription, the church was inaugurated and painted in 1588 by the painter named Nikolaos,when Ioasaf was the bishop of Servia. Georgios Moutafis three priests - Stamatis, Manasis and Stephanos-were donors.

Scenes from the Dodecaorton, the life and Passion of Christ, the Cycle of the Virgin, the Old Testament martyrs and saints standing life-size are arranged in three zones. In the exterior west wall scenes from miracles of saints and from the life of saint Nikolaos are depicted. In the exterior south wall, scenes from the Genesis and the Last Judgement are preserved.The external wall paintings must be painted by another painter in an earlier period.

The temple was donated by Georgios Moutafis and his wife Kiros. It is gilded and it has floral ornaments in relief. It is said to be one of the most important temple in Macedonia. During the years 1996-2000, the monument was restores, the roof was replaced and the wall paintings were conserved.
Agathoniki Tsilipakou, archaeologist