DESCRIPTION
INFORMATION
PHOTOGALLERY
 
 
© Ministry of Culture and Sports, © 15th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities
General view of the monument at Pharsala
The tholos tomb at Farsala belongs to the west cemetery of the ancient city, which extended on both sides of the road leading towards southern Greece. It included tombs of various types dating from the Mycenaean to the Hellenistic era. The tomb is a Late Archaic construction used until the Hellenistic era. However, to the northwest of the tholos (vaulted burial chamber) was uncovered on lower level a Mycenaean chamber tomb which ?was preserved by the architects of the tholos tomb out of respect?, according to a reference by the excavator of the monument. The north part of the tholos was built upon the dromos (entrance passageway) of the chamber tomb; thus the south wall of the Mycenaean dromos was captured into the surface of the tholos tomb's burial chamber and was preserved under the floor of the latter.

Both tombs are made of local grey limestone and both their ceilings collapsed in the past. The remains of the chamber tomb reach up to 1.50m, while the maximum height of the archaic tholos measures 2m. The monument lied under a tumulus surrounded by an enclosure in the polygonal masonry (with a tendency to Lesbian masonry); the stones rely upon slabs on the euthynteria (levelling course just above the walking surface). The same masonry applies to the remaining section of the ancient city fortifications, dating from the first half of the fifth century BC. The most important grave gift from the interior of the tholos tomb is a black figure painted krater (mixing bowl) by the hand of the famous Exekias, depicting at the front the battle between Greeks and Trojans around the defunct of Patroklos. On the contrary, the Mycenaean tomb had already been plundered.

The monument was excavated between 1951 and 1954 by the then Ephor of Antiquities .. Verdelis. In recent years were undertaken conservation works and an effort to highlight the surrounding area: it was modelled with an inclination towards the adjacent roads, recalling the tumulus originally covering the tomb.
Author
15th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities