This small temple is situated at Kotilon, at an altitude of 1230 metres on the highest peak of Mt. Kotilion northeast of the temple of Apollo Epikourios. It is generally identified as the temple of Aphrodite mentioned by Pausanias (8, 41, 10). The temple was built in the Archaic period along with another dedicated to Artemis Orthasia, possibly by poor Phigaleians who settled at Bassae. Here, Aphrodite was worshipped as goddess of fertility together with Artemis Orthasia, protector of small children. The finds from this area (bronze mirrors, terracotta female busts and the bones of sacrificial animals) indicate that both temples were used throughout the Archaic and Classical periods and were abandoned in the third century BC.
The temple of Aphrodite was built north of the temple of Artemis, directly on bedrock without foundations. Unlike the temples of Apollo Epikourios and Artemis Orthasia, it has the usual east-west orientation. It consists of a cella and pronaos and was built of roughly cut stone bonded with clay. There are no traces of columns or sculptural decoration. Inside the cella is a stone pedestal, which may have supported a cult statue of the goddess.
The temple was investigated in 1902-3 by P. Kavvadias and K. Kourouniotis, then Ephor of antiquities, who identified the monument with the temple of Aphrodite at Kotilon on the basis of Pausanias's description (8, 41, 10).