© Ministry of Culture and Sports

Castle standing on a hillock 250 metres high next to the village of the same name, about 3.7 km from the coast. it is square in plan with corner towers and the curtain is about 1,30-1,50 metres thick. The masonry is irregular, and the NE tower is missing; only the foundations of the SW tower survive. The entrance is through the SE tower. The square tower on the NW corner and the north curtain were restored during a second building phase; at the same time the gate's defences were strengthened. Within the castle are remnants of various edifices and two water cisterns. The main entrance is an arched opening crowned by machicolation and a frame that once contained the following dedicatory inscription :«Hoc opus factum est quondam tempore dominorum canonicorum Rodi Johannis de Terranova, Rodericus Dacri, Antonius Constantini, Iohannes Cafuri et ceterorum 1473». The castle was raised to protect the settlement and, due to its strategic position, could monitor a large stretch of the east coast and the roads leading to the south of the island materially contributing to the defence of the surrounding agricultural areas.