© Ministry of Culture and Sports

Remnants of a castle within the modern settlement of Pyli. From the late 11th c., in the codicil of the testament of the Blessed Christodoulos (10 March 1093), and in documents of the 13th and 14th c. in the archive of the monastery of St. John the Theologian on Patmos, Peripatos is mentioned as a dependency of the monastery of the Virgin of Kastrianoi. A document of 1457 states that the Turks had set fire to the deserted castle of Peripatos. Mention of Peripatos as a castle and settlement is made in three other Hospitaller documents of the Malta Archives, one from 1449 and the other two from 1451.