Among the remains of buildings uncovered are the foundations of the Temple of Pythian Apollo, with its threshold block in situ, inscribed ΙΚΑΡΙΩΝ ΤΟ ΠΥΘΙΟΝ (The Pythion of the Ikarians), an inscription which led to the identification of the building as the Temple of Apollo and of the site as the demos of Ikarion. The existence of the theatre is confirmed by the foundations of the stage front (skene) and by six marble thrones of the proedria (prominent spectators). The exact shape (form) of the theatre auditorium is unknown because the koilon has been destroyed at some point by the construction of a road. On the lintel block (epistylion) of the recently restored Choregic Monument is inscribed ΑΓΝΙΑΣ ΞΑΝΘΙΠΠΟΣ ΞΑΝΘΙΔΗΣ ΝΙΚΗΣΑΝΤΕΣ ΑΝΕΘΕΣΑΝ (This is devoted by the victorious Agnias, Xanthippos and Xanthides), referring to the victory of three wealthy Ikarians in the theatrical games of the Rural Dionysia. There were many more choregic monuments and offerings in the area of the sanctuary. The late archaic cult statue of Dionysos, found here in 1888, is now displayed in the National Archaeological Museum.
According to the evidence of the sculptures, inscriptions and building remains found here, Ikarion flourished especially in the fourth century B.C. However there are many moveable finds and other evidence which indicate a thriving village sanctuary in the archaic period as well (7-6th century B.C.).