The Mycenaean acropolis lies on the top of a hill, known as the "Kastro tou Ai-Dria" (St. Andrew's Castle). The site was discovered in 1899 by the archaeologist Christos Tsountas and excavated in 1970-80 by the Ephor of Antiquities Varvara Philippaki, who brought to light a large section of the acropolis.
The excavations uncovered a large section of the Mycenaean wall, reinforced with eight rectangular towers, which surrounded the acropolis in the 12th century B.C. In the Geometric period (8th century B.C.) a simple circuit wall and a large tower were added, and two gateways were opened. Inside the enclosed area, excavations have brought to light the ruins of at least five buildings, probably houses, one of which certainly dates from the Mycenaean period. The rest were most likely used in the 8th century B.C.