HISTORY
DESCRIPTION
INFORMATION
PHOTOGALLERY
 
 
© Ministry of Culture and Sports, © 10th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities
View of a fortification wall (????)
The archaeological site of Lilaia and Polydroso includes the fortification walls, a fountain house, and the remains of a temple. The most beautiful springs of the Kifissos river still lie in this region. The Lilaians built a shrine dedicated to the river god near the spring of Agia Eleousa at Polydroso, and presented him with lavish offerings. Several architectural elements, such as architraves, triglyphs, and column drums, and the imposing retaining wall, which supported the temple, survive. The churches of Agios Christoforos and Agia Eleousa, which replaced the ancient cult buildings during the Early Byzantine period, used an abundance of ancient building materials.

Lilaia's imposing fortifications, which date to the fourth century BC, stand near the church of Agia Eleousa. Several rectangular towers reinforced the walls of trapezoidal masonry, which still stand to a substantial height; the distinctive middle tower at the very top of the acropolis controls the entire valley of the upper Kifissos. Sections of the ancient fortification wall were reconstructed and added to during the Frankish period (thirteenth-fourteenth centuries).

A rural shrine dedicated to Demeter, excavated by Christos Carouzos in 1928 and 1934, lies in the region controlled by Erochos. The sanctuary has a square ground plan and comprised a square terrace, on top of which stood a possible temple or altar, entered through a propylon with staircase. Finds from the shrine indicate that it was used from the Late Archaic until the Hellenistic period.
Author
. Tsaroucha, archaeologist