DESCRIPTION
SITE MONUMENTS
INFORMATION
 
   
 
© Ephorate of Antiquities of Corfu
Old Fortress of Corfu  
Old Fortress of Corfu
The history of the Old Fortress dates back to the mid-6th century AD when the ancient city of Corfu on the Kanoni Peninsula (Chersoupolis, modern-day Palaiopolis) was destroyed in barbarian incursions. It was then that its inhabitants began gradually moving to the naturally fortified peninsula of the Old Fortress with its two peaks, where the Byzantine city, Koryfo (from which the island took its name Corfu) developed. The Byzantines and later the Angevins (1267-1386) walled the peninsula and built ...