DESCRIPTION
HISTORY
INFORMATION
 
 
The Archaeological Museum building, which has been declared a historical monument, was built in the period from 1600 to 1800, and is an impressive example of the architecture that developed on Naxos at the time of the island's prosperity during Frankish period. It is a five-storey structure and was built on the course of the Frankish fortification wall, incorporating two of the towers. It was designed to house a school of Jesuits, founded in the 17th c., and ultimately, in the late 19th c. - early 20th c., housed the famous commercial school, one of the pupils at which was Nikos Kazantzakis. It was later made over to the Archaeological Service and has been used to house the Museum since 1973.