DESCRIPTION
HISTORY
INFORMATION
 
 
The first construction phase of the complex took place between 1890 and 1992 and was undertaken by the Water Company of Thessaloniki, which had prerogative to "supply the city of Thessaloniki and its surroundings with spring water and ... water from Axios river". The Company was financed by Belgian capital and Belgian ware also in charge of the technical assistance. Initially, the technical equipment was stream-driven and later on electricity was introduced (electrically generated pairs of liquid fuel). The central building stopped operating as a pumping-plant in 1978. It is scheduled to be transformed into a Water Museum in 1997 and for that reason the relevant works are already under way by the 4th Ephorate of Monouments.