Excavations began at the end of last century under the guidance of American and Greek archaeologists while since 1905 digging has been carried out by the British Archaeological School at Athens. New excavations have begun five years ago, mainly at the area of the theatre and the shops.
In the period 1960-1965 Prof. Chr. Christou was in charge of the investigations with the financial support of the Greek Archaeological Society. Finally in the period 1992-1995 excavations are being carried out by the British School at Athens.