The site of Amyklaion flourished in almost all the periods of the prehistoric era. From the Archaic until the Roman period it was the second in importance political and religious centre of Sparta. The most important Spartan festival, the Hyakinthia, which took place at Amyklaion, symbolises the political reconciliation of Doric Sparta (Apollo) with the Achaian population of Amyklai (Hyakinthos).
The sanctuary was excavated in 1890 by the Greek archaeologist Chr. Tsountas. Later, excavations were carried out by A. Furtwaengler and the architect E. Fiechter (1904), by A. Skias and E. Fiechter (1907), and by E. Buschor with W. von Massov (1925). Many architectural parts from the "Throne" of Bathykles were recognised and published by Prof. A. Delivorrias, in 1968.