The Archaeological Collection of Galaxidi was created in 1932 by the local 'Youth Association', with Christos Papaioannou, headmaster of the local primary school, as its first curator. It initially comprised objects donated by private individuals and was subsequently enriched with finds from excavations by Greek and foreign archaeologists, random discoveries and rescue excavations by the Tenth Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities. The museum occupies its present location since 1979, when the services of the municipality of Galaxidi were moved to a different building. The collection was enriched with the finds from Galaxidi and its region, which until then had been kept in the Delphi Archaeological Museum. The Nautical and Ethnological Museum occupies the remaining rooms of the building.
The renovation of the Nautical and Ethnological Museum, which included the refurbishment of its rooms and the creation of a basement, began in 2001. This provided the opportunity to re-exhibit the archaeological collection. The creation of new cases and explanatory material to accompany the exhibits, which will be grouped thematically, are currently in progress.