The Demetrios Oikonomopoulos collection comprises mainly icons, but also pottery, coins, ecclesiastical objects and documents, which span the entire Byzantine and Post-Byzantine period.
Demetrios Oikonomopoulos (1907-1986), a chemical engineer, began collecting very early and was primarily interested in works of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine art. His wish was to donate his collection to the city of Thessaloniki, which preserves the vivid remnants of its Byzantine past. This wish was materialized by his wife, Anastasia Zamidou-Oikonomopoulou, in 1987, and the collection was donated to the new museum while it was still in the planning stages.
Only a small part of the collection, which comprises one thousand four hundred and sixty objects, is displayed. Emphasis is given to those objects which are representative of their category and demonstrate the collector's motives and taste.